Every week, an abundance of recovered produce finds its way into The Food Shift Kitchen. It’s important that we’re ready to transform surplus food into nutritious products for the community, while providing employment for the formerly homeless. Having essential kitchen supplies and everyday ingredients stocked and always on hand, allows us to turn out more meals and reduce food waste.
How you can contribute:
- Donate an item
- Donate $ to cover the cost of an item
- Have connections in the restaurant, culinary, or corporate sponsorship world who might be able to support us
NEW ITEMS THAT ARE URGENTLY NEEDED
Digital food scale
Racks for canning
- Mason jars- 16 and 32 oz, narrow mouth
Mason jar rings, narrow mouth
Mason jar lids, narrow mouth
Apple cider vinegar
The following items are hard to source by donations, so are always needed.
- Oven Mitts
- Painter’s tape
- Masking tape- 12 roll pack $9.69/pack (WebstrauntStore)
- Sharpies- Fine point black sharpies 12/box $7.79/box (WebstrauntStore)
- Aluminum Foil Wrap, Choice 24 in x 1000 ft @ $47.99* ea (WebstrauntStore)
- Clear Cling Wrap/Premium Food Service Film, Berry AEP 30550000 24″ x 2000′ Standard Film with Serrated Cutter @$16.99 ea (WebstrauntStore)
Food/Ingredients (*price varies depending on quantity purchased):
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil – 3 liter tin @ $14.57 ea (WebstrauntStore)
- Agave Syrup, 1 gal Organic Agave Syrup, 4/case @ $104.95 per case
- Peeled Whole Garlic 5# bags, Christopher Ranch 5-lb bag, 4 units $75.81 (Cash&Carry)
- #10 can of crushed tomatoes
- Kosher Salt, Regal Kosher Salt 7 lbs. for $8.29 ea* (WebstrauntStore); First Street case of 4 – 22 oz. $11.56 (Cash&Carry)
- Whole Black Pepper Corn, Regal Whole Peppercorn 5 lbs. @ $34.50 ea* (WebstrauntStore); $25.88 case of 4/13 oz (Cash&Carry)
- Spices, Assorted 5lb containers of spices $5- $20
- Rice Wine Vinegar, Kikkoman 1 Gallon Rice Wine Vinegar- 4/Case* $28.40 per case
- White Wine Vinegar
- Red Wine Vinegar, Admiration 1 Gallon Red Wine Vinegar – 4/Case $7.13* per case
- Apple Cider Vinegar, Woeber’s 1 Gallon Pure Apple Cider Vinegar – 4/Case* @ $14.49 per case (WebstrauntStore)
- Molasses, Sulfur Free Molasses, 4/case @ $27.49 per case
- Olive Oil Blend, 6 – 1 gal. Olive/Soya Blend @ $32.49 per case* (WebstrauntStore); olive oil + canola blend case of 6-1 gal. units $68.30 (Cash&Carry)
- Unsalted Butter, Darigold unsalted butter quarters, case of 18-1 lb. units $76.98 (Cash&Carry)
- #10 can of Whole Tomatoes, 1 case, #10 Can Whole Peeled Tomatoes – 6/Case $16.99* per case (WebstrauntStore)
- Dried Pasta, Pasta is a great item to send to city team. If we can find a source of dried pasta, we can produce between a 100# & 200# of a finished product per week. Pasta has a low labor cost and is ideal for supplying a shelter.
- Immersion Blender (Small)– $40 (Target)
As we bump up our production we’ll need some larger ticket items including:
- Commercial Dehydrator, Harvest Saver Tray Dryer (CommercialDehydrator)
- Auxiliary Refrigeration (external walk-in), (PolarKing)
- Tilting Kettle, GROEN TILTING KETTLE, 48 QUART TABLETOP – ELECTRIC @ $6,168.00 (ChefFirst)
We have the immediate need of acquiring some of these items within the next couple weeks, although we’re also interested in developing longer term relationships with local partners who are inspired by the Alameda Kitchen vision and who want to be part of making it a success.
We’ve attached links to examples of most items, but we are flexible on size & brand, and are equally happy to accept both used and new items.
In-person deliveries can be accepted Monday-Thursday, 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM at:
The Food Shift Kitchen
677 West Ranger Ave
Alameda, CA 94501
Email inquiries to: email@example.com
Food Shift is a fiscally sponsored project of Earth Island Institute, a California non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. To make an online contribution, please visit foodshift.net/donate and designate TFSK under “how did you hear about us?” or write a check and make it payable to Earth Island Institute and include TFSK in the memo line. Mail checks to: Food Shift, c/o Earth Island Institute, 2150 Allston Way, Suite 460, Berkeley, CA 94704.
*All donations are tax deductible*
Thank you for supporting this resourceful and collaborative community endeavor!