Title: Program Manager
Salary: $45,000 – $50,000 FTE DOE*
Benefits: prorated health benefits, vacation & sick leave, 11 paid holidays, lunch 4 days per week
Hours: 32-40 hours per week (flexible for the right person)
Location: 677 West Ranger Ave, Alameda, CA
Food Shift is looking for someone with business, management, and food industry experience to join our team as Program Manager. The Food Shift Kitchen is Food Shift’s primary program at this time and the Program Manager will be responsible for expanding this program to recover more food, feed more people, create more jobs, and generate more revenue. Our ideal candidate is passionate about Food Shift’s mission, the power of food, and the potential for social enterprise to impact communities. The Program Manager is responsible for managing program operations and building a community of support to successfully achieve the organization’s mission and goals in a way that is effective, in line with Food Shift’s mission and values, and contributes to organizational sustainability. The Program Manager reports to the Director and will directly manage all program staff, budgets, financing, and metrics.
- Build, train and manage the core team of volunteers and/or staff carrying out the core work of the program.
- Ensure that the ongoing work of the program is carried out in an effective and efficient manner consistent with Food Shift’s mission and values.
- Foster a community of engagement and support for the program, including individual and organizational funders, in-kind donors, and volunteers. Working in partnership with Food Shift team and advisory committee, promote Food Shift’s work locally, identify and cultivate potential individual, foundation and corporate donors, develop strategic alliances as appropriate, develop, and build awareness and goodwill toward the organization and its work.
Ensure that the ongoing work of the program is carried out in an effective and efficient manner consistent with Food Shift’s mission and values. Specifically:
- Recruit, train and manage paid staff, volunteers, and contractors.
- Oversee program execution including:
- expanding revenue through events, products, food service contracts, and more
- sales, onboarding, service delivery, billing, and completion for customers
- job training program improvement and outcomes
- kitchen management including food sourcing, food distribution, meal planning, pricing, logistics, and quality control
- volunteer program including engagement, retention, and appreciation
- Ensure that the database is accurate and up to date including: key metrics; all relevant client and program data; volunteer contact information, start and end dates, and hours; and contact information for community members, donors and other relevant relationships.
- Develop, track, and execute the strategy, budget, goals, and timeline for each program.
- Determine and refine impact metrics and systems for tracking and evaluating each program.
- Produce, monitor, and deliver monthly financial reports to Director that include analysis and proposed actions to meet program targets.
Development & Community Engagement
With support from the Director, build a community of support locally to insure the sustainable financial foundation needed for long-term program success.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with relevant individuals, community groups and organizations in ways that foster awareness, goodwill, and support for Food Shift.
- Create and implement effective communications strategies to foster awareness and goodwill for our work, and to acknowledge and appreciate the volunteers and funders that are supporting us.
- Create and implement an annual fund-raising strategy to insure adequate financial resources for program operations and to build a long-term financial foundation for program success.
- Take primary responsibility for identifying and cultivating potential individual, foundation and corporate funders to meet budget needs.
- Working with the Director and advisory committee, provide strategic direction for the growth and development of Food Shift programs.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Maintains and fosters a passion for Food Shift’s vision and values
- At least 3 years of program management and/or community organizing experience, preferably in the areas of food justice or sustainable food systems
- Solid working knowledge of budgeting and comfort with metrics and numbers
- Strong capacity for mentoring and teaching; previous experience working effectively with volunteers and individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Ability to generate respect and trust from staff and external constituencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate across all levels of donors, partners, staff, and volunteers
- Donor outreach and grant-writing experience a plus
- Excellent organizational and management skills
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Ability to stay calm and keep your sense of humor in a fast-paced environment
- Fluency with Microsoft and Google, Salesforce, and Powerpoint
- B.A Required
- Ability to work well in a team and has good self awareness
- Ability to lift 25+ pounds and utilize motor skills needed to operate kitchen equipment
- Willing and able to work flexible hours and travel; some evenings and weekends required
- Ability and desire to be in a work environment that values working as a team, relationships and giving and receiving honest feedback
- Experience in social enterprise or commodity/food based business
- Familiarity with HACCP or creating Standard Operating Procedures for food production and distribution, or and has experience in food safety planning and implementation in food service
- Knowledge of food services, including sourcing, safety, distribution, nutrition, supply chain, distribution, purchasing, and sustainability programs
- Servsafe certification
- Valid driving license and clean driving record
To apply: Please email a resume, cover letter, and five professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
About Food Shift:
Food Shift has been working since 2012 to develop collaborative models that reduce wasted food, feed communities, and provide jobs. Our model integrates education, environmental sustainability, and workforce development as part of a holistic vision for healthy and sustainable communities and individuals. The Food Shift Kitchen is a unique social enterprise that recovers produce that would have otherwise been wasted due to cosmetic imperfections and transforms it into nutritious food products that are donated to food insecure communities or sold to generate revenue for the program. The program provides job training and employment to individuals with barriers to employment.
The Food Shift Kitchen is located at Alameda Point Collaborative (APC), a housing cooperative that provides housing assistance for low income and formerly homeless families. 99% are APC residents are living below the poverty line and struggling with disabilities. Food Shift partners with APC’s on the job training (OJT) program to provide a six month culinary apprenticeship and certification program. Apprentices learn valuable work-ready skills that will support them in acquiring future employment– strengthening their economic security and personal empowerment.
Food Shift is committed to building a financially sustainable social enterprise. This means that while we deliver on our mission to reduce waste and feed people, we are committed to providing jobs for people who need them the most and are actively developing opportunities for revenue generation. We are inspired and influenced by the success of DC Central Kitchen and we aim to grow our impact throughout the Bay Area and demonstrate a positive model for the rest of the nation to follow.
Food Shift is a project of Earth Island Institute. Earth Island Institute provides fiscal oversight, administrative services, accounting, training, and technical assistance. The Program Manager will utilize the systems and processes created by Earth Island and Food Shift for this role.