Did you know*…
- 1.2 billion people on the planet are severely undernourished
- 870 million live in a state of perpetual, chronic hunger
- 8500 children die every day from hunger – or about one child every 10 seconds
FeelGood, a non-profit social enterprise based in San Francisco, CA has an idea to help change that reality: Unleash the power of college youth to help end world hunger through the simple act of making a grilled cheese sandwich.
The organization empowers future leaders—college students—to create and run non-profit delis on their college campuses, where they “give away” grilled cheese sandwiches for a donation. In turn, the proceeds are wholly invested in organizations working toward the sustainable end of global hunger.
To ensure the success of these student-run delis, FeelGood offers business consulting, investment capital and a formalized education curriculum called the FeelGood Labs—an innovative, online and offline program where students learn about sustainable models of development, social entrepreneurship, and the implications of living in a global age.
Founded in 2005 and active on 25 campuses across the United States, to date FeelGood students have:
- Volunteered more than 128,000 hours
- Made more than 149,000 grilled cheese sandwiches
- Help raise more than $1.5 million for the end of hunger
To make sure the money raised by the students is fully leveraged for the end of hunger, FeelGood partners with two international aid organizations—The Hunger Project and CHOICE Humanitarian—both of which follow a set of core principles proven to effectively and sustainably eradicate global hunger:
- Mobilize self-reliant action at the grass roots
- Effectively address the deeply entrenched social condition of gender inequality
- Forge partnerships with local government and organizations
- Embrace environmentally sustainable practices
FeelGood is now recruiting new chapters for its 2014 training program. Interested students should visit www.feelgood.org/start. Application deadline is November 15, 2013.
Bio: Kern Beare is Director of Communications and New Chapter Enrollment for FeelGood. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org