- Title: Administrative and Operations Assistant
- Status: Part-time, non-exempt
- Hours: 12 – 18 hours per week
- Salary: $15 hourly wage and lunch served 4 days per week
- Location: 677 W. Ranger Ave. Alameda, CA, 94501
Job Description: The Administrative and Operations Assistant is responsible for supporting the internal operations and administrative functioning of the organization. They will report to the Director and will be trained and supported by the current Operations Associate. This is an exciting opportunity to gain experience with a growing non-profit organization and be an instrumental part of a dynamic team building a movement to reduce wasted food, nourish communities, and provide jobs.
About Food Shift: Food Shift works collaboratively with communities, businesses and governments to develop long-term sustainable solutions to reduce food waste and build more resilient communities. One of our most exciting programs is The Food Shift Kitchen where we recover surplus food, provide job training to individuals with barriers to employment, and create nourishing meals that we distribute or sell throughout the community.
Food Shift is a fiscally sponsored project of Earth Island Institute (EII) and the individual in this position would be an employee of EII.
- Manage telephone, email and written inquiries to Food Shift.
- Manage and streamline organization’s and staff’s internal schedule, documents, and records in Google Drive & Google Calendar.
- Assist with social media content, posting, and management as needed.
- Support with logistics, operations, and processing data from The Food Shift Kitchen program and catering services.
- Data entry and management in Salesforce and Google Sheets.
- Ensure Salesforce records are accurate and entered in a timely manner.
- Support with event outreach and execution.
- Research and updating databases and email lists.
- Assist with email and phone outreach.
- Draft and submit invoices, monthly reimbursements, check requests, and deposit forms.
- Clean and organize the office and assist with filing, printing, and scanning.
- Support with volunteer coordination, outreach, and hours tracking.
- Take initiative to suggest improvements to systems and processes wherever possible.
- Provide back-up and support to Director and staff, as needed; enthusiastically take on other duties as assigned.
- Strong commitment to Food Shift’s mission and vision.
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft and Google Office (email, documents, spreadsheets, calendar, etc.).
- Experience with Salesforce, WordPress, social media management, or graphic design is a plus.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, ability to multi-task and remain focused in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Demonstrated mathematical proficiency and comfort working with numbers. Work experience or education in finance is a plus.
- Proactive work ethic, ability to anticipate needs and take appropriate actions.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, walk, twist and turn.
- Ability to use a computer, keyboard, calculator, and phone.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
We hope you’ll join us!