Food Shift is looking for a full-time Communications and Outreach Coordinator through AmeriCorps VISTA! We are looking for an enthusiastic and energetic individual who is passionate about our work and has a background in communications to help manage our educational outreach, communications, and volunteer team.
Food Shift’s mission is to reduce wasted food and increase access to nutritious and affordable food for all. We work collaboratively with communities, businesses, and governments to develop the infrastructure and capacity to recover, process, and redistribute all edible food.
This summer, we’ll be launching an exciting social enterprise called the Alameda Kitchen. The Alameda Kitchen will train formerly homeless individuals in culinary skills. while transforming fresh fruits and vegetables that would otherwise be wasted into nutritious, affordable food products. These products will be sold to local businesses and distributed at low cost to food insecure communities, in a financially sustainable model that funds the logistics of the program.
The Communications and Outreach Coordinator will play a critical role in promoting the Alameda Kitchen, engaging the community, and communicating about our work. This is a chance to get in on the ground-floor of an innovative and successful nonprofit that is growing quickly.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage, write and develop strategy for content for social media, newsletter, blog, website, and other promotional materials
- Design marketing materials for Food Shift and recruit volunteers to help as needed
- Manage volunteers working on social media, creative, & web
- Refine and improve communications, social media, and outreach strategy and manual
- Create outreach strategy that engages community and promotes Food Shift
- Plan and execute educational and fundraising events
- Conduct educational outreach, including tabling and sampling at stores
- Manage outreach volunteers
Volunteer Recruitment & Management:
- Build capacity by developing new volunteer positions, teams, and recruitment strategy
- Develop and manage programming for volunteer events and team bonding
- Refine our overall volunteer strategy and manual
- Manage volunteer program – recruiting, on-boarding, tracking
- Create a food recovery and logistics strategy for the Alameda Kitchen
- Coordinate food pick ups and drop offs for Alameda Kitchen program
- Manage food recovery & kitchen volunteers
- Assist with project support for Alameda Kitchen as needed
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills Required:
- Strong creative writing skills
- Graphic design (required) and web design skills (preferred)
- Strong computer skills
- Experience with education and outreach
- Pro-active – going above and beyond without always being asked
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Quick, eager learner
- Strong leadership skills
- Organized, strong time-management skills
- Passionate about Food Shift’s mission
- Experience working with a nonprofit or volunteer work is a plus
- Ability to work well in a team
- Desire to work in a dynamic, emerging startup environment
- Experience with SalesForce is a plus
- Knowledge of budgeting and financial analysis is a plus
- Familiar with social media platforms and tools, including Facebook and Twitter
- Fluency in English
- Conversational and written Spanish is a plus
This position is based in Oakland, CA, starting on August 1, 2016. The VISTA will attend a pre-service orientation in Los Angeles, CA from August 1 – August 4 (travel costs covered by VISTA), and then begin work in the Oakland office on August 8. This is a VISTA volunteer position, with a small stipend of $15,999 per year.
Apply HERE through the VISTA portal by June 16, 2016.
Read testimonials from Food Shift’s past and current VISTA members here.
Please share this position with anyone you think might be a good fit! We have included some sample text to use for sharing on social media below:
#JobOpportunity in Oakland @Food Shift: Communications & Outreach Coordinator: http://bit.ly/1ZJTDOa
NOW HIRING: @FoodShift is hiring a Communications/Outreach Coordinator. Apply here: http://bit.ly/1ZJTDOa