Job Description: The Food Recovery Driver will use the Food Shift van to help transport recovered food from San Francisco to The Food Shift Kitchen in Alameda. This role is crucial to our operations and capacity to reduce wasted food, feed communities, and create jobs in our kitchen. The driver will also deliver and set up catering services for clients.
Title: Food Recovery Driver/Catering delivery
Employment status: Part-time, Temporary
Start date: May 22nd
Regular Schedule: (10 hrs/week): 6:30 am – 11:30 am Mondays and Wednesdays
Additional Hours (2-10 hr/week): Additional Food Recovery is as needed
Catering delivery, set up, and clean up-scheduled in advance and sporadic. Training and lifting support equipment available.
- Pick up surplus produce donations, supply donation, occasional purchases and other food items from Imperfect Produce, SF Produce Market, and other locations as necessary.
- Load/unload van (800-1,200lbs of food with each trip), pick up/drop off, weigh, and record incoming produce at the Food Shift Kitchen in Alameda.
- Training and lifting support equipment available.
- Track mileage, time flow, and changes in the logistics to find inefficiencies and keep the schedule efficient.
- Deliver outbound food donations to community partners.
- Deliver and set up catering services for local clients.
- Other kitchen tasks as needed and willing.
- Valid California driver’s license.
- Clean driving record- DMV report required.
- Ability to lift 50-60 lb boxes of produce repeatedly for a total of 800-1,200 lbs into and out of a vehicle throughout your shift.
- Ability to communicate in a friendly and courteous manner with distributors and Food Shift staff and volunteers.
- Ability to discern what is still salvageable and what is already spoiled.
- Interest in food recovery and Food Shift’s mission.
- An interest in improving operations/logistic flow and building relationships with the partners.
- Experience transporting and setting up catering.
- Experience interfacing with catering clients.
- Have up to date and comprehensive auto insurance
To apply, please send a resume, a short paragraph expressing your interest in this type of position, three professional references, and a copy of your clean driving record to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.