About Food Shift:
Since 2012, Food Shift has been developing collaborative models to reduce wasted food, nourish communities, and provide jobs. Our mission is to reduce the harmful impacts of wasted food and improve community health through the recovery, redistribution, processing of surplus food, and job creation. Although our organization is 8 years old, our current model of using rescued food to uplift communities is still at the cutting edge of the food recovery sector. Food Shift Catering, our social enterprise kitchen, provides training and jobs to individuals with barriers to employment and feeds the community. Food Shift seeks to uplift the most vulnerable in the community through recovered food.
Our culture is similar to that of a startup. We are integrated into a broader community and positioned for growth. Looking ahead, we plan to reorganize our systemizing and documenting procedures. We are looking for team members with a community mindset who are not afraid to take on many different roles and work in a dynamic environment.
The Administrative and Operations Assistant is responsible for supporting the internal operations and administrative functioning of the organization. They will report to the Executive Director and will be trained and supported by the current Administrative and Operations Assistant. This position is ideal for those looking to gain experience with a growing non-profit organization and be an instrumental part of a dynamic team building a movement to reduce wasted food, nourish communities, and provide jobs.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented assistant who thrives in dynamic environments. Food Shift’s diverse team works collaboratively and independently to reduce waste (food rescue, food preparation), feed the community (meal distribution, catering), and create jobs (food service apprenticeship program and placement). Supporting this variety of activities requires organizational skills and a proactive work ethic to be able to anticipate the needs of team members and projects. We use Microsoft Office and Google Suite, Salesforce, social media platforms, and other software for email, documents, spreadsheets, scheduling, marketing and project management.
Job Duties: regular duties include general administration & operations, tracking of financial and other data, assistance for special projects including fundraising and community outreach.
General Administration & Operations:
- Organize the office and assist with filing, printing, scanning, and organizing online files
- Check and respond to internal and external emails
- Work with the Operations Associate to coordinate and execute projects such as the Google Drive reorganization
- Help with day-of catering execution for the kitchen such as printing menus and collateral, and supporting the Program Manager and Culinary Director as needed
- Take initiative to suggest improvements to systems and processes wherever possible
- Provide back-up and support to the Executive Director and staff, as needed; enthusiastically take on other duties as assigned
- With potential for expanding hours and responsibilities based on performance
Finances & Data Tracking:
- Ensure all donations and pledges are accurately recorded and tracked in Salesforce and Google Drive, and thank you letters sent in a timely manner
- Work with Program Manager to ensure that Salesforce and Google Drive databases are accurate and track key metrics including all relevant client and program data; key communications related to partners; food donation and catering data; and volunteer contact information, start and end dates, and hours
- Work with current volunteers and Operations Associate to draft and submit monthly reimbursements
Assisting specific projects:
- Community outreach
- Social media
A resume, link to updated LinkedIn profile, and two professional references
A cover letter that includes a short description of why you want to work with Food Shift how you match the requirements of the role
Food Shift is a project of Earth Island Institute (EII). EII is Food Shift’s fiscal agent which provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.