Food Shift is looking for a talented and passionate assistant!
Position: Administrative and Operations Assistant
Status: Part-time, temporary, non-exempt
Hours: 12 – 18 hours per week
Salary: $16 hourly wage and lunch served 4 days per week
Location: 677 W. Ranger Ave. Alameda, CA, 94501
Job Description: The Administrative and Operations Assistant is responsible for supporting the internal operations and administrative functioning of the organization. They will report to the Director and will be trained and supported by the current Development and Operations Associate. This is an exciting opportunity to gain experience with a growing non-profit organization and be an instrumental part of a dynamic team building a movement to reduce wasted food, nourish communities, and provide jobs.
About Food Shift: Food Shift works collaboratively with communities, businesses, and governments to develop long-term sustainable solutions to reduce food waste and build more resilient communities. One of our most exciting programs is The Food Shift Kitchen where we recover surplus food, provide job training to individuals with barriers to employment, and create nourishing meals that we distribute or sell throughout the community.
Food Shift is a fiscally sponsored project of Earth Island Institute and the individual in this position would be an employee of Earth Island.
- Manage telephone, email and written inquiries to Food Shift.
- Frequently check and manage general organization email accounts such as the general info inbox and volunteer inbox.
- Manage and streamline organization’s and staff’s internal schedule, documents, and records in Google Drive & Google Calendar.
- Put together monthly newsletter and assist with other communications or promotion outreach.
- Assist with social media content creation, posting, and management as needed.
- Data entry and management in Salesforce and Google Suite.
- Ensure all donations and pledges are accurately recorded and tracked, and thank you letters sent in a timely manner.
- Draft and submit invoices, monthly reimbursements, check requests, and deposit forms.
- Clean and organize the office and assist with filing, printing, scanning, and organizing online files.
- Help with day-of catering execution for the kitchen such as printing menus and supporting the Program Manager and Culinary Director as needed.
- Support with staff and volunteer recruitment, onboarding, paperwork, coordination, and hours tracking.
- Work closely with Earth Island to ensure all administrative and legal processes are correct and all paperwork deadlines are met.
- Take initiative to suggest improvements to systems and processes wherever possible.
- Provide back-up and support to Director and staff, as needed; enthusiastically take on other duties as assigned.
- With potential for expanding hours and responsibilities based on performance.
The incoming Administrative and Operations Assistant will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Strong commitment to Food Shift’s mission and vision.
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite (email, documents, spreadsheets, calendar, etc.).
- Proactive work ethic; ability to anticipate needs, take appropriate actions, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and remain focused in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Demonstrated mathematical proficiency and comfort working with numbers.
- Proficiency with Salesforce, WordPress, and social media management is a plus.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, walk, twist and turn.
- Ability to use a computer, keyboard, calculator, and phone.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line “Administrative Assistant Application [Your Name]”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
We hope you’ll join our team!