Food Shift is seeking an On-Call Assistant Chef for immediate start!
Job Description: The Assistant Chef will work closely with the Food Shift Chef to execute and support the production at Food Shift Kitchen. You will be the Chef’s right-hand chef and it will be crucial that you are responsive, detail oriented and work well with others. You will be bottom lining a prep list and may be giving direction and feedback to volunteers and culinary apprentices.
Position: Assistant Chef
Reports to: Head Chef
Pay Rate: $20-22/hr
Hours: When scheduled (maximum 20 hours/week)
Location: 677 W Ranger Ave Alameda, CA
About Food Shift:
Food Shift, a project of Earth Island Institute, is developing collaborative models to reduce wasted food, feed communities, and provide jobs. Food Shift’s primary project is The Food Shift Kitchen, a unique social enterprise that recovers produce that would have otherwise been wasted due to cosmetic imperfections and transforms it into nutritious food products that are donated to food insecure communities or sold to local businesses to generate revenue for the program.
The Food Shift Kitchen is located at Alameda Point Collaborative (APC), a housing cooperative that provides housing assistance for low income and formerly homeless families. 99% are APC residents are living below the poverty line and struggling with disabilities. Food Shift partners with APC’s on the job training (OJT) program to provide a six-month culinary apprenticeship and certification program. Apprentices learn valuable work-ready skills that will support them in acquiring future employment– strengthening their economic security and personal empowerment.
Food Shift is committed to building a financially sustainable social enterprise. This means that while we deliver on our mission to reduce waste and feed people, we are committed to providing jobs for people who need them the most and are actively developing opportunities for revenue generation. We are inspired and influenced by the success of DC Central Kitchen and we aim to grow our impact throughout the Bay Area and demonstrate a positive model for the rest of the nation to follow.
Visit us at www.foodshift.net
- Act as manager on duty when Head Chef is not on site
- Support creation of menu items for upcoming catering gigs
- Work with team and culinary apprentices in executing food production
- Coordinate with food suppliers and drivers to determine the timing, delivery, and service of product
- Work with & coordinate volunteers to ensure kitchen food & safety standards are met
- Ensure that all inbound and outbound food and supplies are labeled, monitored, and tracked using the proper forms and procedures
- Execute cleaning schedules and procedures to ensure a clean and organized kitchen
- Execute catering from the front of house and back of house, including possibly driving
- Identify necessary purchases of ingredients and/or supplies, and tell Culinary Educator
- Help with sourcing supplies when needed
- Maintain ServSafe Manager certification and implement policies and procedures to ensure food sanitation and workplace safety standards are maintained at all times
- Ensure as little food as possible is wasted in The Food Shift Kitchen
- Setting up, servicing & clean up on site catering
- Communicate clearly and frequently with Food Shift staff, apprentices, and volunteers about program needs
- Communicate successes, challenges, and recommendations for the program to the Program Manager
- Support with improving program systems and processes
- Track all hours worked and submit a timesheet to the Food Shift Chef
- Passion and drive to contribute to Food Shift’s mission
- Valid CA Driver’s License and a clean driving record. Not required, but is ideal
- Hold current Servsafe manager certificate
- 1-2 years experience working in a professional kitchen
- Ability to execute administration and logistics
- Experience mentoring and teaching others
- Understanding of culinary terms, knowledge, and skills
- Organization and attention to detail
- Patience, compassion, and clear communication
- Dedicated to recycling, composting, and keeping food out of the waste stream.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, walk, twist and turn.
- Ability to use a computer, keyboard, and calculator.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
To apply, please send a resume, a short paragraph expressing your interest in this type of position, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.