Food Shift is looking for Food Recovery Drivers to help transport food donations for our Alameda Kitchen program! We are looking for volunteers who have their own vehicles and who are interested in transporting cosmetically imperfect produce that would otherwise go to waste from businesses around the East Bay to our kitchen site in the City of Alameda. In our kitchen, we will use the produce to train formerly homeless individuals to cook healthful food products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Picking up surplus produce donations and other food items from various locations in Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, and Alameda.
- Dropping off food at our Alameda Kitchen site at 677 W Ranger Drive, Alameda.
- Communicating with the Food Shift team about donation items needed and when items have been picked up.
- Communicating with business staff about which food items are available for donation/pick up.
- Helping with other transportation as needed and willing.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills Required:
- Must possess own vehicle to transport food.
- Must have valid CA Driver’s License.
- Able to lift up to 50 lb boxes of produce and load them into and out of a vehicle.
- Able to communicate in a friendly and courteous manner with store staff.
- We are still figuring out our transportation schedule, but most pick ups will take place M – F 9 – 5 PM. However, some weekend and evening pick ups may be needed.
Volunteer drivers make a HUGE impact in diverting good food from the landfill while providing jobs. Join the movement today!
If you are interested in volunteering, please send an email to Hanna at email@example.com with the subject line “Food Recovery Driver” and include your phone number, address, vehicle model, when you are available to do pick ups, and if you are interested in a consistent weekly driving schedule or being an “on-call” volunteer who is contacted as needed. We hope to hear from you soon!