JOB OPENING: Operations and Development Associate
Benefits: health benefits, vacation and sick leave on a prorated basis, and 11 paid holidays.
Start Date: Immediate
Hours: 40 hours per week
Location: Alameda, CA
Food Shift is a non-profit social enterprise based in Alameda, CA. It is our mission to reduce waste and increase access to nutritious food while catalyzing models for job creation in the food efficiency sector.
The Operations and Development Associate is responsible for the internal operations and administrative functioning of the organization while also supporting our fundraising efforts. She/he will report to the Director, and work closely with staff, partners, and volunteers to execute key activities that support the organization. This is an exciting opportunity to join an innovative start-up organization and contribute to our growing impact.
Operations & Office Management:
- Organize office, manage telephone, email, vendor, and written inquiries.
- Manage and streamline organization’s schedule, documents, and records.
- Generate lists and reports using Salesforce as needed.
- Draft and send invoices, reimbursements, and external letters.
- Update and maintain financial and administrative procedures.
- Track all contacts, communications, and records in Salesforce.
- Update newsletter database and report to team on metrics.
- Support with logistics, operations, and processing data from The Food Shift Kitchen.
- Oversee tracking revenue and expenses quarterly, and reporting against financial targets and metrics quarterly.
- Oversee and interface with EII accounting to ensure all checks are paid on time and financial statements are up to date. Reconcile expenditures monthly.
- Provide back up and support to Director, as needed; enthusiastically take on other duties as assigned.
- Take initiative to make improvements to systems and processes wherever possible.
- Research, data gathering, printing and scanning as needed.
- Provide logistical support for events, including transportation of materials.
Capacity Building & Fundraising:
- Support with grant research, tracking, drafting, and reporting.
- Ensure all donations and pledges are accurately recorded and tracked, and acknowledgement letters sent in a timely manner.
- Assist with developing and implementing new membership system.
- Assist with growing and cultivating Food Shift’s newsletter and membership email lists (goal of at least 5000 by the end of the year).
- Prepare project reports and summaries.
- Support with staff and volunteer recruitment.
- Ensure consistent and professional volunteer tracking and coordination.
Why we need you:
We are looking for an entrepreneurial professional who has the flexibility and aptitude to enthusiastically take on additional duties as assigned. Candidate must have:
- Strong commitment to Food Shift’s mission and vision
- Detail oriented with strong follow through and a focus on organization and execution
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft, Google, Powerpoint, Excel, Dropbox
- Ability to complete work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines
- Ability to think critically and adapt quickly in a flexible environment
- Team player with an ability to work collaboratively
- Demonstrated mathematical proficiency and comfort working with numbers
- Proactive work ethic, ability to anticipate needs, prioritize, and take appropriate actions
- Sense of humor and flexibility to incorporate feedback into work processes
- Demonstrated interest in nonprofit management, food systems, and/or social enterprise
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, walk, twist and turn.
- Ability to use a computer, keyboard, and calculator.
- Drivers license and willing to drive as needed to events or occasional food pickups or dropoffs
About Food Shift:
Since 2012, Food Shift has been working with communities, businesses and governments to develop long-term sustainable solutions to reduce food waste and build more resilient communities. As one step toward that goal, in 2016 Food Shift launched The Food Shift Kitchen. Using fresh fruits and vegetables from farms, grocers, and distributors that would otherwise be discarded due to imperfections, the Food Shift Kitchen creates meals and food products which are sold throughout the community and provided to food insecure communities. The Food Shift Kitchen trains and employs individuals with barriers to employment. It is our goal is to develop powerful regional models that can be scaled nationally to empower waste reduction, job creation, and food distribution.
We are searching for bright and passionate people who are excited to make an impact from day one and grow with the organization to take on greater responsibility over time. We are collaborative, hard-working team players that welcome challenges and rise to any occasion. Our open workspace encourages conversation and collaboration. Everyone at Food Shift has a voice – we want to hear yours!
If you are interested in growing with Food Shift, please send a resume, cover letter, three professional references, and how your heard about the opening to email@example.com letting us know why you are interested in joining our mission and our team. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Visit www.foodshift.net to learn more.
Food Shift is a project of Earth Island Institute (EII) and this position is an employee of EII. Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.