As part of the holistic vision for a healthy and sustainable future, it is Food Shift’s mission to ensure that nutritious food does not go to waste and to involve our community as part of the solution.
Food Shift develops practical solutions to reduce food waste, feed communities, and provide jobs. Our model focuses on rescuing surplus food that would otherwise waste away in landfills and utilize it to fuel our social enterprise kitchen. We address food insecurity and joblessness in our community through our catering program and job training program, which is designed for those facing high barriers to employment including homelessness, unemployment, disability, domestic violence, addiction and incarceration. Apprentices earn a livable wage while learning how to work in a professional kitchen, allowing for growing room before stepping into the next role of their careers.
Creating and implementing solutions for the people, by the people, and with the people is the focus of Food Shift’s holistic vision for healthy individuals and sustainable communities. Food alone cannot solve hunger, and Food Shift is utilizing opportunities in the food system to address the intersecting issues of climate change, job and economic security, and community health.
- Recovered over 70,000 lbs of food
- Signed Google as a regular weekly catering client
- Scaled up our catering capacity to take on two full-day, 150 attendee conference, serving breakfast, lunch, happy hour, and dinner
-Began hiring graduates as Food Shift Kitchen Assistants for kitchen production and mentoring new students
- Generated approximately $100,000 from The Food Shift Kitchen catering enterprise, representing one third of our overall revenue from project income
- Recovered more than 120,000 lbs - that’s 60 tons! - of food
- Welcomed new leadership - Yuka Nagashima hired as Executive Director
Office and Social Enterprise Program Manager
Food Recovery Specialist
Chief Technical Consultant, Executive-in-Residence
Founder, DC Central Kitchen & LA Kitchen
Emeritus Chef & Culinary Director, Food Shift
Founder & Managing Director, Blueridge Advisors
Nonprofit communications & fundraising
Vice President, Head of Marketing & Partnerships, Human Rights Campaign
Our work would not be possible without the support of our partner organizations and financial sponsors.