Food Shift is recruiting Culinary Arts apprentices!
Program Description: Food Shift is looking for Culinary Arts Apprentices to train in the Food Shift Kitchen. The apprenticeship is paid, and apprentices will gain work experience and skills in the culinary arts. Apprentices will be mentored in all aspects of food preparation and cooking by the Food Shift Chef. This training program is supported through a partnership with the Oakland Private Industry Council.
Position: Culinary Arts Apprentice
Mentor: Food Shift Chef
Payment: $13.80 per hour
Status: Part-time Apprentice
Hours: 20 hours/week for 3 months (Monday-Thursday, 8am-2pm)
Location: 677 W Ranger Ave, Alameda, CA
About Food Shift:
Food Shift, a project of Earth Island Institute, is developing collaborative models to reduce wasted food, feed communities, and provide jobs. Food Shift’s primary project is The Food Shift Kitchen, a unique social enterprise that recovers produce that would have otherwise been wasted due to cosmetic imperfections and transforms it into nutritious food products that are donated to food insecure communities or sold to local businesses to generate revenue for the program. Learn more and visit us at www.foodshift.net
- Perform all aspects of food preparation and cooking, under supervision of the Food Shift Chef
- Adhere to all food safety and handling procedures
- Assist with food packaging and distribution
- Assist with food sorting, organizing, and tracking as needed
- Maintain a clean work station at all times
- Assist with Food Shift outreach events, potentially including catering food, distributing flyers
- Physically able to perform standard commercial kitchen tasks— including lifting heavy containers of food, chopping, cooking, packaging, dishwashing, etc.
- Workplace communication and coordination
- Situational problem solving skills
- Working as a member of a team, including leadership and coordination
- Practicing positive interpersonal skills and working with diverse groups or individuals
- Communicating with supervisors and co-workers
- Customer service communication
- Preventing and resolving workplace conflicts
To apply, please visit our on-site recruitment event. Click here to view an event flier.
Wednesday May 15, 2019
Oakland Career Center
268 Grand Avenue, Oakland, CA 94610
If you cannot attend the event, you may also apply by calling: (510) 675-7914.